Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Travelers




I wish I could say that I took these pictures on the blog today but I did not. I had an attachment from a friend with the history of a family who traveled by bicycle from Kentucky to Alaska . The Pedouins. You may have read something in the newspaper or in the magazines about them. If you have not, you may find reading their blog interesting and fun. http://www.pedouins.org. The caption should be "Pink skies of Fairbanks" . . . what is that old adage . . . 'pink skies at night sailors delight; pink skies in the morning, sailor take warning'; wonder what it means on land . . . probably a big snow storm is coming.
How creative a family to take themselves off on a bike tour and capture the hearts of the public. At present they are in a cabin in Fairbanks busy writing a novel about their experiences. The three little girls look healthy and happy enjoying a slide down the hillside. That picture brought back a few memories of an old flexible flyer that sent me into many a snowbank. It has been a lot of years since I 'slid' down a hillside . . . if I remember it was an inner tube ride down a Sierra low rise with son Michael in tow.


My friend Barbara and her husband had a chance to meet these folks and they left a lasting impression. She follows their adventures with a bit of a sigh wishing she could be a part of the adventure . . . me too, I would love to have done something like that many years back but never had the courage to follow a dream like that. Crossing the countryside in a car, three different times, with four children going and five coming back gave me adventures enough to last me a lifetime.
Now this is the way to travel, poor old Noah had better catch that woodpecker or there will be no boat to float. Someone had a great sense of humor and timing as our current day politics has made us feel like we are in a leaky boat. Well let us all light a candle for the enlightenment of our politicians in hopes they will find the cure for what ails us. We Americans have been called many names but we know how to band together once we get our heads out of the sand.
So today, when you are out and about on a Tuesday no less . . . well, hump day will be here soon enough for you to start thinking of what you will do with your up coming weekend. The week is starting off with 'iffy' weather and walking is not an option if you want to stay dry. I hear Arizona weather is beautiful and tennis lessons are the name of the game. I'm not sure about Rhode Island, I think more storms are in the offering for them. Son John has inches of snow to plow through and it is cold. He should enjoy that as he loves cold skiing weather, wonder if there are places near by to slide down a hillside or two. Granddaughter Erin must be in her glory as the winter weather starts. She is a snow boarder and can hardly wait for time off to go 'down hill' and she does it so gracefully . . .go Erin!. I would imagine son Michael is standing on his back porch looking up into the Sierras covered with snow. As for daughter Christine, she may be plowing through rain puddles just like we are, although I think she has been getting a lot more teeming rain than we have. Whatever, weather is weather so make up your mind to get out and 'dance' in the rain, grab a sled and slide down a hillside with a whoop and a holler and smile all the way. Hugs to all.



No comments:

Post a Comment